Topic Description :
Role of a Nurse in the Prevention of HAI’s in Hematological conditions
- Is to emphasize the need for control of ‘Health Care Associated Infections’ in immunocompromised patients
- Orient to various infection control protocols in caring for patients with Haematological diseases
- Emphasize the need for compliance of infection control policy and determine practical and objective way to monitor with an audit process
Prof. Selva Titus Chacko
Dean, College of Nursing
RN, RM, BSN, MSN, PhD (Hematology Nursing)
- Professor Selva Titus Chacko is currently the Dean of the College of Nursing at Gulf Medical University. She has more than 35 years of teaching, clinical & administrative experience.
- She is graduated from Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore, South India with a BSN in 1982, Masters in Nursing in 1992 in Medical Surgical Nursing with sub specialization in Critical Care Nursing. She has been a Faculty of CMC since 1995 after her Post Graduation and moved up the ladder as Professor over the years and continued to teach Undergraduate & Postgraduate students.
- She was also the Nurse Manager for Oncology & Hematology wards in the hospital as the Institution practiced dual responsibility for Faculty. She obtained her Doctorate in Hematology Nursing from The Tamil Nadu Dr. M. G. R Medical University. Chennai, India. Her major area of focus was on Prevention of infection in Immune compromised Hematological patients.
- Prof. Chacko’s interest in the area of Oncology & Hematology Nursing, led her to avail a 3 -year Study leave from the Institution (1998-2001) and obtain a specialized training in Oncology & Hematology Nursing from Royal Adelaide Hospital, Adelaide in South Australia. She was instrumental in setting up the State-of -the art Bone Marrow Transplantation (BMT) unit in CMC Vellore as the Head of the Nursing Department, which today is the leading BMT center in the country.
- She has held various administrative positions over 20 years in the College of Nursing, CMC, Vellore as Additional Deputy Dean, Registrar, Deputy Dean & recently since (2014-2019) as the Dean of the College of Nursing. She was instrumental in developing collaborations with many Universities abroad mainly from USA, UK, Scotland and Sweden.
- Being the first and the leading College in the country, the successful ‘Integration model of Nursing Education & Practice’ has been shared and showcased with National & International visitors, students & faculty
- The College of Nursing, CMC Vellore is a WHO Collaborating Centre for Nursing & Midwifery Prof. Chacko has been the ‘Executive Committee Member’ of the SEARO Region, Global Network of WHO Collaborating Centre for Nursing and Midwifery for a period of four years from (2016-2020). She has actively participated in collaborative studies in Cancer care of SEARO region.
- Prof. Chacko continues to serve as the President of the ‘Nursing Research of India’. She was the former ‘Chairman of the Nurses League’ Christian Medical Association of India.
- She is a passionate teacher and works towards ‘Integration of Nursing Education and Practice’, mentoring students & empowering faculty & staff in the hospital. She promotes positivity among all levels of workers and students.