Prof. Lorenzo Piemonti
Director of Diabetes Research Institute & Director of Human Islet Transplantation Program, San Raffaele Scientific Institute. Italy.
Moderator: prof.ssa Valeria Sordi
- To understand the limits of actual diabetes therapy
- To understand the mechanism of beta cell regeneration
- To understand the cell replacement approach for diabetes therapy
- To update on the clinical experience whit somatic cell therapy for diabetes
- To update on the pluripotent stem cell as source of new beta cell
MD graduated with Summa cum Laude at the University of Milan and specialized with Summa Cum Laude in Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases and in Micro and Experimental surgery at the University of Milan. At the San Raffaele Scientific Institute (Milan, Italy) he serves as Director of Diabetes Research Institute, Director of Human Islet Transplantation Program. He also serves as Chief of the Beta Cell Biology Unit (Diabetes Research Institute), and Director of Human Islet Processing Facility, and coordinator of European Consortium for Islet Transplantation that has been providing Human beta Cell Products for research and clinical applications at OSR, in Italy and across state barriers in Europe.